Directions: Over the course of the class you must keep a journal. Plan to write in it at least twice each week, but you may write more if you desire. This is a place to develop ideas and practice your craft. I suggest that you get a notebook and keep it with you; you never know where you will be when you are inspired! Turn in notebook at end of course.
Journal Prompt Checklist:
- If I could be any mode of transportation, I would be…?
- What would you do if you were being hunted?
- You wake up tomorrow and you are 29 years old…
- You woke up this morning to find that you are now the opposite gender. What do you do?
- What is your reaction to governmental control of video game violence?
- Monkeys can fly.
- You are starving and all you have is Spam!
- You have just won the lottery!
- Extra! Extra! Read all about it! _________________ was found in a cave in New Mexico!
- What would the theme song of your life be and why?
- If your best friend or worst enemy were a candy, what would they be and why?
- What was your worst childhood nightmare?
- You woke up at 5am and had 7 cups of coffee, 4 Monsters, and 3 sodas. What are you like right now?
- If you were a bug, what would you be and why?
- If you could have a date with anyone (dead or alive) who would it be and why?
- Now you are the president of the U.S. What would you do? What policies would you change?
- In your opinion, what makes a “good writer?” What do they write about? How do they write? What are the elements they write in?
- Write a letter to a person you admire explaining why you admire them.
- What is something you have always wanted to say to someone, but haven’t had the guts to say to them?
- How do you plan to make a difference in the world?
- What would you say is the best mother’s day gift you or anyone has ever given?
- If you were a bird, where would you live and what would you do?
Spend about a paragraph reflecting on your growth as a writer over the past semester. What has changed in you/your work? What would you tell someone who’d never taken a writing class before? Why?
|Advanced||All above requirements are met; at least 20 entries are complete. Responses are legible, and journal is submitted along with checklist to show entries made. Thoughtful, creative responses are provided.|
|Proficient||All above requirements are met; at least 18 entries are complete. Responses are legible, and journal is submitted along with checklist to show entries made. Thoughtful, creative responses are provided.|
|Meets Standard||All above requirements are met; at least 15 entries are complete. Responses are legible, and journal is submitted along with checklist to show entries made. Thoughtful, creative responses are provided.|
|Below Standard||All above requirements are met; journal has less than 15 entries, or many entries are begun, but are not complete. Responses are illegible, and journal is submitted without checklist to show entries made. Responses lack effort.|